A forum about the civil liberties implications of a proposed license plate scanner system (announced here , on community listservs, and on fliers) was held in Takoma Park on Wednesday, February 25, 2009. A video of that forum was recorded and uploaded by my friend Michelle Bailey (“Takoma Videotaping “).
Forum participants included:
- [02:30] Thomas Nephew (organizer)
- [06:47] Sharon Bradford Franklin (The Constitution Project )
- [21:10] David Zirin (The Nation , Campaign to End the Death Penalty )
- [30:23] Johnny Barnes (National Capital Area ACLU )
I’ve compiled a draft transcript  of the forum. The times there (and above) indicate the beginning of the speaker’s comments. A Q&A session began at around 42:23.
Takoma Park City Council  member Terry Seamens, Public Safety Committee chair Chuck Thomas, and Takoma/Silver Spring Voice  publisher/editor Eric Bond were in the audience, as were Takoma Park Police Department’s Chief Ronald Ricucci and Captain Edward Coursey.
Other resources for this forum:
- A resource page  about the Takoma Park license plate scanner issue (press release, grant application, worksession video and documents, other links)
- My introduction  to this forum, and my blog post  about this forum
- Constitution Project’s “Guidelines for Public Video Surveillance ” (.PDF, 104 pages)